VETERINARY TECHNICIAN NATIONAL EXAMINATION (VTNE) IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Most state and provincial agencies use the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE®) to evaluate the competency of entry-level veterinary technicians and require a passing score for a veterinary technician to be credentialed. The VTNE is administered during three exam windows each year. The exam is computer-based and is given at official testing centres throughout the U.S. and Canada or can be Live Remote Proctored.
The AAVSB owns and administers the VTNE.
The VTNE is required of all individuals that wish to:
- be a member of the BCVTA and obtain Registered Veterinary Technologist (RVT) status in BC
- qualify for reciprocity with other North American AHT/VT associations
WHO CAN WRITE THE EXAM?
A graduating student or a graduate of an accredited AHT/VT/ACT program (minimum 2 years).
HOW DO I REGISTER TO WRITE THE EXAM?
Candidates register for the exam directly on the AAVSB (American Association of Veterinary State Boards) website www.aavsb.org
IS THERE A FEE?
$330 in US Funds payable to AAVSB at the time of registration. Credit card is the only payment method accepted.
WHEN AND WHERE CAN I WRITE THE EXAM?
- Summer Window: July 15 – August 15
Deadline for Applications: June 15 (registration opens April 15)
- Fall Window: November 15 – December 15
Deadline for Applications: October 15 (registration opens August 15)
- Winter Window: March 15 – April 15
Deadline for Applications: February 15 (registration opens December 15)
The examination comprises of 150 multiple-choice questions covering all aspects of veterinary technology. The candidate is allowed three (3) hours to complete the examination. This examination is designed to test an ENTRY LEVEL (New Graduate) TECHNOLOGIST.
The candidate will receive a provisional PASS or FAIL immediately after writing the exam. Official results will be available approximately 4 weeks later from your AAVSB account. Results are accessible for 1 yr after you write the exam.
If unsuccessful on the first try, the candidate is allowed two (2) rewrites. Rewrites will only occur in the next examination window.
Reference guides are available to assist you in preparing for the VTNE.
- Review Questions and Answers for Veterinary Technicians, 6th Edition, Prendergast. ISBN #978-0-323-31695-8. This text may be ordered through the Thompson Rivers University bookstore at 250-371-5576.
- Online practice test is available for a fee, on the AAVSB website.
- List of other reference texts is available on the AAVSB website.
Sonia Walczak, RVT
c/o Thompson Rivers University Veterinary Technology Program
805 TRU Way
Kamloops, BC V2C 0C8
Phone: (250) 377-6079