The message board is a place for suggestions and discussions. If you have a time sensitive question related to the association, please contact either the Executive Director (bcvtaboard@gmail.com) or the president of the association. Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello RAHTs,

I wanted to share with you the CVBC bylaw pertaining to dental extractions should you be wondering.  To confirm, only veterinarians are allowed to do dental extractions. Here is a statement from the CVBC referring to this:

Delegation of duties to an employee is provided in the Bylaws, Appendix A – Code of Ethics, s. 68 (see below). “Dental surgery” is mentioned in s. 68 (ii) as not being permitted as a dental procedure under “Direct Supervision” and therefore some registrants have interpreted that to mean that “dental surgery” is permitted under s. 68 (iii) under “Direct Personal Supervision”.  Further,  they believe their argument has credence based on the definition of “dental procedures” in the Facility Practice Standards (FPS) which includes “extractions”. However,  the FPS pertains only to the requirement for a facility to provide veterinary services and not to delegation of duties and therefore dental surgery such as teeth extraction cannot be delegated to a staff person who is not a registrant with a GPP or SPP license.

Yours truly,

Dr. John Brocklebank

Deputy Registrar

NicoleEmery
    Participant

Thank you fro this info. Could you perhaps get clarification on feline neuters as well.
    Nicole Emery, RAHT

JenniferRabinovitch
    Participant

Yes! No one I’ve asked has been able to clarify the feline neuter point. I’ve been meaning to call Dr. Brocklebank, but it keeps escaping my to-do list. Can someone comment?

Cat neuters are considered a surgery and only a veterinarian is allowed to perform surgery according to the CVBC bylaw.

A copy of the CVBC bylaws pertaining to tasks can be found in the Appendix A, section 68

http://www.cvbc.ca/temp/201352034861/Bylaws_App_A_-_Code_of_Ethics_Oct_091.pdf

Hopefully with their new bylaws it will be clearly outlined.

I hope that helps,

Christine Watson

Executive Director

KirstenWilson
    Participant

Hi all,
    Just wanted to bump this based on the questions about dental extractions at the meeting Sunday.

From Christine’s post above:

“I wanted to share with you the CVBC bylaw pertaining to dental extractions should you be wondering. To confirm, only veterinarians are allowed to do dental extractions. Here is a statement from the CVBC referring to this:

Delegation of duties to an employee is provided in the Bylaws, Appendix A – Code of Ethics, s. 68 (see below). “Dental surgery” is mentioned in s. 68 (ii) as not being permitted as a dental procedure under “Direct Supervision” and therefore some registrants have interpreted that to mean that “dental surgery” is permitted under s. 68 (iii) under “Direct Personal Supervision”. Further, they believe their argument has credence based on the definition of “dental procedures” in the Facility Practice Standards (FPS) which includes “extractions”. However, the FPS pertains only to the requirement for a facility to provide veterinary services and not to delegation of duties and therefore dental surgery such as teeth extraction cannot be delegated to a staff person who is not a registrant with a GPP or SPP license.

Yours truly,

Dr. John Brocklebank

Deputy Registrar”

Kirsten Wilson, Liaison to the CVBC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘BCVTA Members Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.