The message board is a place for suggestions and discussions. If you have a time sensitive question related to the association, please contact either the Executive Director (bcvtaboard@gmail.com) or the president of the association. Thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    StephanieOlson
    Participant

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or has a list of regulations/laws a technician can do with out a vet and not working for a vet directly. I live in a remote community in northern BC and we do not have a vet. But I’ve been approached a few times about doing things like giving SQ fluids, Cytopoint injections because the RDVM has sent injections home with the owner. Looking to compile a list of things I can and cannot do and just want to make sure I have everything correct and work within my boundaries of an RVT that works on my own and not directly with a vet. I met a lady last year who offered services like this and she was registered, but I believe she was from Nova Scotia so I’m sure rules vary quite a bit.
    Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Heather Shannon
    Participant

Here’s a start. CVBC bylaws https://www.cvbc.ca/CVBC1/Resources/Legislation__Standards___Policies/CVBC1/Resources_Contents/Legislation_Standards___Policies.aspx?hkey=7c3b0d2d-faaa-4840-8788-0807425ff7d5

Another resource might be to speak with Jenn Panko from the SPAW. Jenn works in physiotherapy, quite often working on animals without a DVM present.

Also in many other provinces (and in BC if you are Locuming) it is HIGHLY recommended to carry your own insurance. There is more information on the RVTTC website – with insurance information coming out soon from the CVMA.

StephanieOlson
    Participant

Heather,
    Do you know if there is a detailed list for a “scope of practice’ for RVT’s?

KirstenWilson
    Participant

Hi Stephanie,
    There is no current scope of practice for RVTs. It is something that we have been trying to work on with the CVBC for a few years now. However, it helps if you apply the “what can a DVM do that an RVT can’t” rule when thinking about what is okay. As RVTs, we cannot make a diagnosis, determine a course of treatment (including prescribe medications) or apply surgical techniques.

Things like SQ fluids and giving medications THAT HAVE BEEN PRESCRIBED TO THE PATIENT BY A DVM should not be an issue, especially since we have owners do these things. However, as Heather mentioned you will want to think about liability and insurance; if something goes wrong with a patient, you could be held liable.

You may want to consider checking with the CVBC to see what they have to say as they are the regulator for the practice of veterinary medicine in BC.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have further questions!
    Best,
    Kirsten

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘BCVTA Members Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.